Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Spanish Style Quinoa

What in the world is quinoa and how do you pronounce it? It is pronounced "KEEN-wah". It is an excellent source of protein. It is soooo good for you all the way around!
I got some reading info from this website, but I am sure you can find more!
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=142
Check it out for yourself!




Oh, the smell of garlic and onions, YUMMY!!! I SO wish this was a scratch and sniff picture!!! I added about twice as much garlic!




Added the water and tomato paste and other spices...



Finished! SOOOOOO good!!!!!!!



Spanish Style Quinoa

2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used coconut oil, a bit healthier for you!)
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the quinoa, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes until the onion is tender, and the quinoa has lightly toasted. Stir in the tomato sauce and water, then season with the chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Stir the quinoa occasionally as it cooks.


I use my cast iron skillet for EVERYTHING, and since it didn't have a lid, I just used a piece of foil instead! Worked just fine! Also, like I said at the top, I used WAY more garlic than it calls for! But we all LOVE garlic!
I cooked some chicken on the grill to go with this, then after talking to my mom, remembered that it was a PROTEIN food and not fiber like I was thinking, opps! So we got tons of protein that nite!!! :O)
Here's what I did with the leftovers...



Put it on a tortilla and added a bit of cheese! Today I added a little bit of sour cream as well! So good!!! You can use wheat tortillas to make it even more healthy! Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Mandy, this is a REALLY GOOD recipe. You're right...the smell is half the goodness. To be honest, it isn't the most beautiful dish to look at, but the flavors are wonderful, and oh so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this too! I served mine with cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro sprinkled on top, warm tortillas, sour cream, and sliced avocado on the side. The only change I would make to this is to add 1 tsp. salt to the stage where it's simmering. It was pretty bland, but once I sprinkled some on the top, it made all the difference. This recipe will go in my "keeper" file, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete