Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homemade Corn Bread

Yes, as in, you mix the flour and the corn meal together and make your own. ;)  You don't open a box of Jiffy Mix...  It's really easy!  REALLY!  The beauty of this, I added some chili powder to it, you can more or less to make it more spicy! 

I made this tonite to go with the chili.  The kids LOVED it and gobbled it down!  It's so easy!  Only a few ingredients!

I bought my corn meal from the Amish store in Indiana.  I just put it in a Ziploc baggie and place in the freezer until I need it.  ;)

Try it and let me know what you think!  Again, you don't "have" to add the chili powder, just a yummy pretence that we all like!  ;)




Put all dry ingredients in a bowl
Mix all dry ingredients together
Pour all wet ingredients in a bowl and mix
Pour wet ingredients into dry... Mix thoroughly
Place in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes until golden brown...
Here they are, nice and hot! :)
Another view
Here it is with the chili, sooo good! The kids broke up some of theirs to put in the chili... ;)


Homemade Corn Bread

1 cup corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
not quite 1/2 cup sugar
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
1 -2 teaspoons chili powder (more or less to your taste)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/3 vegetable oil
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 400.
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another. Combine the two and mix until just blended. Pour into greased pan. Use and 8 x 8 pan if you like it fairly (2 to 3 inches) thick or 13 x 9 pan if you like it thin. I used a 13 x 9 pan for the loaf pictured here, which produced a 1 inch thick loaf.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and serve while still warm.

I don't know what it is about nice and warm cornbread! I remember when my mom would make cornbread, I'd eat it pipping hot with butter on top! Yummy!! ;)

See, super easy, not too many ingredients! Give it a try! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment