Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Spinach and Beef Enchiladas




This is the recipe that I needed that Red Enchilada Sauce for too! ;)

The kids GOBBLED this right up! I am thinking instead of beef, adding some chick-peas or even lentils! Yummy! Then it would be completely meat free, and you could even make your own tortillas so it could even be gluten free! Hmm, the wheels are turning now, guess what I am gonna be trying? ;)

This is really a pretty easy recipe! It doesn't take much to throw together! (But if you don't have any red sauce, it may put you in panic mode for just a few minuets! ;))




Brown your meat and onion

Then once it's browned and you've drained the grease off the meat, add the frozen spinach,


can of diced green chilies, spices,


sour cream and cheese


Stir it all up... Ok, it may not look the greatest right now, but it is soo good!


Put one tablespoon of red enchilada sauce on your flour tortilla



Then add some beef and spinach filling


Roll it up and put seam sound down in baking dish. (you can kinda see that I put a little bit of sauce in the bottom of the pan before adding the enchiladas)


All rolled up and in the pan!


Adding the rest of the red enchilada sauce


And then added the salsa to the top


Then top off with the shredded cheese
Cover with foil and bake!


opps, I forgot to take a picture of it right after coming out of the oven! My kiddos were hungry and so I was trying to get it all on the plate! Opps!


I put a bit of Jasmine rice down, then the enchilada on top!


Here it is cut open! Oh my, if only this was a scratch and sniff, it is sooooo good!!!!





Spinach and Beef Enchiladas

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 box frozen spinach
1 can diced green chilies
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheese (you choose what kind, Mexican, cheddar, co-jack, etc...)
1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
8 flour tortillas
1/2 cup salsa

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In skillet cook beef and onion until beef is brown. Drain the grease.
Place back in skillet and add frozen spinach, cook, stirring frequently, until thawed. Stir in green chilies, cumin, garlic salt, pepper, sour cream and 1 cup of the cheese.
Mix it all together and cook for a few minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Spread about 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce over tortilla. Place your beef mixture on top of the sauce and roll up. Place seam side down in baking dish.
Do this until all your meat mixture is used up. (I used smaller tortillas and I used 10 and could've filled up a few more!)
Once you've got all the tortillas in the pan, take the remaining enchilada sauce and the salsa over the top of your enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
Cover and bake 40-45 minutes or until heated through.
Serve with rice (we used jasmine rice, yummy!)

Next time I make this, I think I will thaw out my spinach and hand squeeze all the water out! It made my meat mixture a bit watery, but I used a spoon that had small holes in it, so it drained before putting it on my tortilla. (if that made sense?)
Or I may just use fresh spinach, but I would break it up into smaller pieces before placing it in the pan! ;)

Let me know if you try it and how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment