Friday, September 24, 2010

Grandmother's Russian Pancakes (Pflinzen)

Strawberry and Banana Filling


I just now see that my last post was pancakes as well, oh well.... This is more like a crepe. The kiddos LOVED these, especially the ones that I put cinnamon and sugar in! ;)

These are really easy to make, it does take a bit of time because you have to do one at a time... But totally worth it!

I made some that had cinnamon and sugar in it and then I got some strawberries out of the freezer that the kids and I had picked earlier this year, chopped those up and added a banana.

Please be careful rolling them up, they are hot! ;)


Mix flour, milk, eggs and salt together


All whisked up


Pour 1/4 cup batter in pan






Pick the pan up a bit and roll it around a bit so the batter is thin and close to the edges of the pan

Nice and golden brown on one side


Sorry this pic is pretty dark, but this one has the cinnamon and sugar all over it, yummy!!!


Roll it up (again sorry it's so dark)


What it looks like all rolled up!!!


Here it is with the strawberries and banana's on it!


The two kinds that I made rolled up


Cinnamon and sugar all cut up


Strawberry and banana ones all cut up



Grandmother's Russian Pancakes (Pflinzen)
Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Beat with a whisk, or blender, or hand held mixer

Heat 10 inch skillet and add a bit of oil to bottom of skillet.
Pour in about 1/4 cup of pancake batter, tilt pan so it goes all the way to the sides. Turn in a minute or two until underside is nice and brown, a nice light brown, not dark burnt brown! ;)
Remove when other side is done and looks like the top.
Repeat with remaining batter.
Finished pancakes should be thin and slightly crispy on the edges. Serve with honey, or cinnamon and sugar, or applesauce, or any other fruit you like.


*You can put the filling in them and roll up or have the person eating them put whatever they like in it, then they roll it up. For the kids, I made one cinnamon and sugar one, and then put strawberries and banana's in the other.
REALLY easy to make and the kiddos LOVED it!!! Try it and let me know what you think! :)
(I got this recipe from my More-with-Less cookbook that my mom got me! More to come from this AWESOME cookbook!!! :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment