Friday, November 4, 2011

Quinoa Porridge

I honestly wasn't too sure about this.  I haven't been rinsing my quinoa like all the recipes say you are supposed too.  But this time I did, and I'm not gonna lie, I really did notice a difference!  So from here on out, I'll be taking the time to rinse those little tiny things!  ;)

I just took a coffee filter and placed it inside a strainer, then poured in how much qunioa I wanted in the strainer.   Then put it under the faucet to rinse it.  Pretty easy!  ;)

The kids really liked this!  My lil man didn't gobble it down like his older sisters and brother did, but he did eat some of it!  ;)  I ate a small bowl and liked it!

You could put anything in this porridge!  I used cinnamon, an apple and raisins and chopped walnuts.

This is actually pretty easy too!  The health benefits of quinoa are just awesome!  :)

Rinsed the qunioa, placed it in my water, brought it to a boil, then put the lid on and simmered it for 15 minutes.  The whole time I was in and out of the shower, perfect timing!  :)  Once the 15 minutes were up, I poured in the goodies, then about 1 cup of milk.  Let it simmer for a few more minutes, and viola, it's done!  :)  If you wanted it to be sweet, you could add a bit of pure maple syrup or honey.  i did not add any of that and I was able to eat it!  So that tells you something!  ;)

You could add fresh peaches, strawberries, blueberries, or you could do applesauce and cinnamon, really, anything goes!  ;)


Qunioa Porridge

1 cup rinsed quinoa
2 cups water
1 - 1 1/2 cups milk
and any "toppings" you want....  apples, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, raisins, cranberries, any other dried fruit or any other fresh fruit

Bring the qunioa and water to a boil, uncovered, once boiling, turn down heat to a simmer and simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes.  If the water hasn't absorbed completely, that's ok...  ;)  Add your toppings and milk and simmer until desired porridge consistency!

Yummy and easy!  You could make this the nite before and just heat up in the morning for a fast breakfast!
Let me know if you try it and what combo of toppings you use!  :)
 Quinoa before the boil...
 Quinoa after the boil and simmer for 15 minutes
 All toppings in the pot, I left the skin on the apples... not only is it pretty, but there is many health benefits to leaving the skin on!  ;)
 Toppings and milk added
 All stirred up, needs to simmer for a bit...
I probably shouldn't have let it cook as long, but with little kids fighting in the morning, I kinda had to let it cook a bit longer...  I could've added a bit more milk, but they were ready to eat!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment