Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Navajo Fry Bread




I made this a few nites ago, but I was in a rush so I didn't take any pictures! I made the bread the same way, but the toppings were different! The toppings are endless! You can do whatever you want! The first time I made these, we had re- fried beans, shredded cheddar cheese and then lettuce. It was sooo good! The kiddos call gobbled it down too!

Tonite, i made them and put scrambled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, and bacon! I am thinking you could use a sausage patty, then an egg and cheese. Even top it with some salsa? Again, you can do whatever you want with these!!!

The kiddos loved these as well, the scrambled eggs one.

Flour and baking powder in bowl


Add the milk and water


Stir it with a fork to mix it up...


Then lay it on lightly floured surface and....


Knead away! (this is so easy you can do it one handed, like I did! :))



All kneaded and ready to go!!
If your dough is still too sticky, if it's sticking to your counter top and hands, just add a little bit of flour and knead it til it's not sticky!)

Take a golf ball sized portion...


Flatten it out with your fingers (you can use a roiling pin, but really, it's just as easy to do it with your hands)


Poke a small hole in the middle


It can be even a bit smaller than this...


Place in your hot oil


Fry until it's golden brown on one side


All nice and golden brown, sooo good!!!!


Everything you need to make the egg Navajo tacos! Scrambled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon and your Navajo bread


Start off with your bread


Place some scrambled eggs


then some cheese



Then some bacon


Ready to eat!! Yummy!!!! :)




Navajo Fry Bread

Sift into a bowl:
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
Stir in:
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cups milk

Knead with hands. Pat or roll into circles approximately 5 inch in diameter. With fingers make a small hole in the center. Fry in several inches of hot oil at 400 degrees, an electric skillet is very convenient for this. Dough will puff and bubble. Turn when golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with honey or for Navajo Tacos.

(options: use half whole wheat flour)

*The second time I didn't use any salt. I honestly didn't notice a difference!
Again, for the Navajo tacos, I used a can of re-fried beans (or you could make them, but I was in a hurry!), then some shredded cheddar cheese and a bit of lettuce for the top!
When I made them into breakfast Navajo tacos, I used 4 scrambled eggs, made those in a pan, then put them on the bread, then added some shredded cheddar cheese and topped with crumbled bacon. Super good!
Again, you can do whatever you want! Please let me know if you try these and what you add to them! ;)
I was just thinking tonite as eating them that they would be really good with butter and then sprinkle some cinnamon sugar, yummy!!! :oP
Also, I used coconut oil to fry, so it's healthy, right? ;)

(got the bread recipe from my more-with-less cookbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment