Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wheat/White Bread

Don't ya just LOVE the smell of homemade bread? Especially in the fall! I don't know what it is, but I LOVE the smell of ANYTHING baking in my oven in the fall!

I have a couple different recipes for bread, no, not the kind you put in your bread maker!!! But tried this one first! It is actually a white bread recipe, but didn't have enough white, so I did half white and half wheat. It turned out really yummy!

The next time I made it, I did all white and it was SUPER good too! So very good toasted with homemade apple butter on it! YUMMY!!!

I was going to try another one this afternoon, but my kids woke up to soon. Which means, the bread won't rise when they are awake! ;o) So after I put them to bed, will mix some up!





This is the wheat and white combo.





This is the all white flour one! Both really good!


Homemade Bread

1 (1/4 oz) package active dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 2 cups warm water or milk
1 heaping tablespoon lard or shortening
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
7-8 cups flour

In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water. In large mixing bowl, combine the lard, sugar, salt and remaining 2 cups water. Into the mixing bowl stir the yeast and enough flour to make a soft, elastic dough that doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl. Cover the dough with a loose piece of plastic wrap and let rise til double in size, (about 1 1/4 hours) in a draft free warm place. Punch the dough down, and divide it into 2 balls. Form into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise again until double (about 45-60 minutes). Bake in a 325d oven for about 45 minutes. The bread will sound hollow when it's done.


*I used water instead of the milk. Also, you can brush the top of the bread with melted butter or margarine to have a softer crust. This bread doesn't last very long in our house! ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment